Dog and Cat Boarding & Grooming for Cumming - North Fulton - Canton : 678-455-9199

by Dr. Jack Stephens

These common items may be found in or around your house and they can make your cat very ill, many are toxic. So keep cats safe, by keeping these potential poisons away.

1. Rat Poison

Also known as Rodenticide, this toxic substance inhibits Vitamin K and causes severe and potentially fatal internal bleeding if not treated.

2. Lilies

Perhaps the most common deadly house plant for cats. Cats that eat any part of the plant and even drink the water from the lily vase can develop fatal kidney failure if not caught early and treated aggressively.

3. Marijuana

This recreational drug can cause profound effects in cats including hallucination, muscle tremors, depression and difficulty breathing

4. Chocolate

Chocolate contains caffeine which is toxic to cats. Cats are more sensitive to caffeine (also found in coffee, tea, caffeine pills and energy drinks) than dogs. Cats may have tremors, seizures, coma and death from consumption of chocolate and other caffeine containing products.

5. Aspirin

This anti-inflammatory can cause the same kidney and stomach problems as Ibuprofen. However, it is an anti-coagulant which means that it prevents platelets from clotting. This can cause internal bleeding in cats. There are rare circumstances in which Aspirin may be useful in ultra-low doses, but do not give Aspirin to your cat unless specifically prescribed by your veterinarian.

6. Ibuprofen

This human anti-inflammatory (i.e. Advil) can cause severe damage to the kidneys, liver and GI tract of cats. Ibuprofen can cause severe bleeding ulcers which can make cats anemic and these cats may require a blood transfusion. Cats are especially sensitive to Ibuprofen and should never be given this drug.

7. Acetaminophen

Cats lack the ability to metabolize acetaminophen (i.e. Tylenol) well which leads to severe and potentially fatal anemia. When this happens, cats experience respiratory distress, swelling the face and paws, vomiting and hypothermia followed by death.

8. Sago Palm

This southwest desert ornamental palm is extremely toxic to cats and dogs. Ingesting even a small amount can cause liver failure, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and death.

9. Amaryllis

The outer layer of the bulb is the most toxic part of this beautiful holiday plant. Ingestion can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and liver damage.

10. English Ivy

While the toxicity of this plant is mild, it can cause discomfort in the mouth and throat if the berries and leaves are eaten by cats.

If you suspect your cat has been exposed to, or ingested, any of the above items, call your veterinarian immediately. If your veterinarian’s office is closed, call the nearest emergency vet clinic. They can help you determine the next best steps, possibly including bring your cat in for emergency treatment.